Saturday, September 23, 2006

BETA CAROTENE FOR THE SOUL

When I was young, I rarely get sick. Only simple colds, fevers that happen once in a blue moon and not forgetting some wounds and cuts from a well-lived witty childhood, were my complications. I can count the times when I got some digestive problems due to food contamination and a very odd cardiovascular condition wherein I often get speedy palpitation with an average of 190 bpm, which I don’t consider a serious illness after undergoing a series of ECG, 2D Echo and other cardio tests without any certain diagnosis. I got divirginized at the age of nineteen when I was hospitalized due to stage 2 dengue hemorrhagic fever, as it was the first time I got my hands penetrated by a giant needle for dextrose and some blood transfusion. Life seems perfect but it isn’t so. I may be provided with supplements to make my body resistant to diseases but life won’t be complete without it. I remember a television commercial for a bottled water, I’m not even sure if these are the right wordings but it says “In a perfect world, there are no bacteria, germs that causes illness”. I would buy that product in tons if that’s true, for a perfect world really contains impurities we usually call, imperfections. Just like supplements that make us defiant to diseases, attitude helps defend against failures and life’s impediments.

I am reminded of an article I read about an anti oxidant that is commonly found in yellow and orange fruits and vegetables that appears to protect the body from damaging molecules called free radicals. It helps fight certain chronic illnesses such as heart attack and cancer. It is usually associated with a vitamin that’s good for the eye and promotes decreased sensitivity to the sun’s harmful rays.


When we see life as a vast ocean of darkness, we seek the brighter side of it. When we experience quandary, we tend to counteract with a positive attitude. It helps us see the entire scenario as a manageable fight. Similar to taking in some supplements to make our body stronger and resistant, positive outlook helps us survive and overcome challenges in life. During the times that we are unable to see things clear, when we are exposed to many untoward situations, when we are susceptible and helpless, all we need is a great dose of the element that could help us keep going and recover for possible damages. It would protect us from life’s free radicals such as frustrations, negative thoughts, hopelessness and apathy. When we are into confusion, it would help us have a clearer vision on the things that we usually overlook especially when we are close-minded and blinded by self-pity and skepticism. It makes us less receptive against pain due to intolerance and biases. And as these substances supply the fruits and vegetables its yellow coloring, positive outlook provides a clearer, sound and bright manifestation of one’s life.

No comments: